Followers

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Colouring with Copic markers on Kraft Paper

Hello everyone, Vili's here with my first tutorial for the year!

I really love pictures coloured on kraft paper, the colours look somewhat dusty on the dark base. In more of the cases, to colour on dark base what is needed are permanent (oily) or aquarelle pencils but alcoholic markers can be used, too. Today I'll show you how I do it.
Despite Copic markers and a printed or stamped image on kraft paper, it is required a white pencil and, eventually, a white gel pen. No matter what is the kraft paper, it is important to be smooth. I chose ADFD's Delicate Fairy Of Flowers, because her dress has many folds and good contrast can be made.


 I start with colouring the skin:


As the paper is dark, I use darker tones in the shadowed parts:


I blend with a lighter one:


I add pink on the cheeks:


In the lightest sections I use the white pencil:


And again, I repeat with the markers consecutively the dark, the middle and the light (gone over with the white pencil) parts:


I strengthen the colour with the ones on the cheeks:


It's time to colour the fairy's dress:


I start with the darkest tone, then it comes the lighter and then the lightest one:



Here, like in the face, I go over the lightest sections with the white pencil:


I repeat them with the lightest tone, I blend the darker colours and the dress is ready:


I start colouring the hair with the lightest tone:




Now it is turn for the shadows - I make a contour with a darker grey and then I blend it with a lighter one:


I colour the flowers and the wings:


If I decide it is needed, I go over the lightest parts with the white pencil once again:


Some last touches with the white gel pen and the fairy is ready:


And here it is what I did with it:



Have a lovely day and thanks for stopping by!


8 comments:

Juanita said...

That's really beautyfull!!!

Sandra H said...

Beautiful thank you for sharing this x

KarinsArtScrap said...

gorgeous thanks fot the tutorial.

Gr Karin

Shelley said...

LOVE! Thank you. Now a question... did you go over the white pencil crayon with the Copic marker (RV91)? Without a problem to your brush nib?

Vili M. said...

Yes, Shelley, I did. The brush nib usually gets a bit dirty but after I make some strokes on plain paper everything gets as it was :)

Shelley said...

Wow... was always told don't do it lol. Now I must try (I've got a spare nib just in case) :-). Thank you so much.

Ginger said...

So glad I read this today. I love coloring with my copics and my Prismacolor pencils, plus love the effect on kraft cardstock. I'm just never quite sure about mixing the two. Happy Day! Thanks.

Kaspar said...

Despite Copic markers and a printed or stamped image on kraft paper, it is required a white pencil and, eventually, a white gel pen. No matter ... ccopicmarkers.blogspot.com